Some photos from our puppet making evenings for White Night in Brighton. What I enjoyed most about the process was being able to sit around in a room with friends for many weeks in a row, sewing, making and chatting.
How to make a life-size puppet.
- 10 hours and lots of improvised stuffing
- 4 pieces of metre length pipe insulation for the skeleton
- 8 pairs of tights for the skin
- 1 piece of plywood for the face frame
- Lump of clay big as your face for the mold
- Newspaper for paper mache to put on the mold
- Tennis balls for joints
- Pillow stuffing from 6 pillows for the meat
- Lots of thread and needles to sew it all together
- Yacht varnish to harden the paper mache
- Gesso to harden the paper mache
I wrote a talk about collaboration shortly afterwards, which contains some of the things I learned about the process.
Thanks to all those involved in the making.